In the world of web hosting, we are well-known with mainly three types of hosting i.e: Shared Hosting and the other two being VPS and Dedicated server hosting.
Presently, these three hosting services are widely utilized for hosting services among businesses. People seldom look for affordable hosting solutions that will help in cutting their costs and be benefited from their productivity.
Before talking about each hosting’s superiority, it is crucial to know what each means and how they are beneficial.
What Do VPS and Dedicated Server, Shared Hosting Mean
We will understand all these three hosting tiers(Shared Hosting, VPS and dedicated server) and see their strengths and weakness.
What is Shared Hosting?
Shared Hosting is one of the most fundamental and cheapest of all the hosting tiers. These plans let you rent space on a shared hosting server, your website, and several other websites that may be hosted on the same server. VPS and dedicated server hosting are better in terms of security. These plans are the most inexpensive solutions as they offer the least performance, security, and flexibility.
What is VPS Hosting?
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting is considered to be the middle ground of shared hosting and dedicated server hosting. Unlike shared hosting, VPS hosting makes use of a Hypervisor which facilitates technology to segregate each client with a good amount of resources. It provides more resources to its clients than shared hosting services. VPS Hosting offers enhanced performance and security than a shared hosting site.
Further Suggested for reading:
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
As the name suggests, the dedicated server is a server that is fully dedicated to you. No hardware or resources will be shared in this type of hosting. Out of the three hosting types, the dedicated server hosting tends to be the most expensive however offers you the best in class performance, security, and flexibility.
Where Do Server Hosting Solutions Stand?
Below we have described Shared Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting perform.
|Features||Shared Hosting||Virtual Private Server (VPS)||Dedicated Server|
|Configurability||Highly Restricted||Mostly Unrestricted||Unrestricted|
Pricing, Pros and Cons of Shared Hosting, VPS and Dedicated Server Hosting
- Beginner-friendly, getting started with this type of hosting is simple as compared to other hosting services.
- It’s cheaper than VPS and dedicated server hosting, few hosting companies charge as low as $3.95 per month.
- Security upgrades and maintenance of servers are managed for you.
- Your website page loading speed may suffer as several other websites are running on the same server
- No guarantee of your website security. As several other websites besides your site are running on the same server. In an event of a website hack or memory leak, your site could be affected.
- Lack of server control and low performance. If another site on the server using more resources, the performance of your site could be affected.
- Limited storage and bandwidth
Shared hosting can range from $3.95 to $9.95 per month depending upon the hosting provider you pick.
VIRTUAL PRIVATE SERVER (VPS) HOSTING
- More affordable than a dedicated server
- More secure than a shared hosting
- Faster than shared hosting as more resources allotted
- You have root server access and have better control over the hosting environment.
- Scalability. Scale as per the needs of your server
- More costly than a shared hosting server
- Few companies oversell their servers
- If you go for an unmanaged VPS, it may be difficult to configure if you don’t have technical knowledge. Hence, it will take time to launch your website or keep your website running.
You can also have a look at our guide “Benefits of Managed VPS Hosting“
VPS Hosting can range from $20 to $100 per month depending upon the hosting provider you pick.
- You have the complete server all to yourself
- Complete access to the server. Hence you can completely customize your server to adapt to the website’s requirement
- You obtain 100% access to the server resources
- As the server is tailor-made to satisfy the needs of your website, you get a great server performance
- It’s secure as you’re the only one using the server
- Since you’re shelling a lot of money, the web hosting provider will make sure that you get the best 24/7 support.
- Advanced technical knowledge is required to maintain and optimize the server
- It’s quite expensive than other web hosting solutions.
Dedicated hosting can range from $80 to $500 per month depending upon the hosting provider you pick. Pricing generally is based on the specs of servers and additional services.
Prior to picking a web host, it is crucial to work out on the type of hosting you require. Whether it’s a shared, VPS, and dedicated server hosting. However, we prefer VPS and dedicated server over shared hosting.
Additionally, you can checkout 10GB Hosting’s Dedicated Server UK plans that offer high performance and a high level of security.